Książki
Cixin Liu
"The Three-Body Problem"

1. "The Three-Body Problem"

Cytat:1967: Ye Wenjie witnesses Red Guards beat her father to death during China's Cultural Revolution. This singular event will shape not only the rest of her life but also the future of mankind.

Four decades later, Beijing police ask nanotech engineer Wang Miao to infiltrate a secretive cabal of scientists after a spate of inexplicable suicides. Wang's investigation will lead him to a mysterious online game and immerse him in a virtual world ruled by the intractable and unpredicatable interaction of its three suns.

This is the Three-Body Problem and it is the key to everything: the key to the scientists' deaths, the key to a conspiracy that spans light-years and the key to the extinction-level threat humanity now faces.

2. "The Dark Forest"

Cytat:This is the second novel in the "Three Body" near-future trilogy. Written by the China's multiple-award-winning science fiction author, Cixin Liu.

In Dark Forest, Earth is reeling from the revelation of a coming alien invasion—four centuries in the future. The aliens' human collaborators have been defeated, but the presence of the sophons, the subatomic particles that allow Trisolaris instant access to all human information, means that Earth's defense plans are exposed to the enemy. Only the human mind remains a secret.

This is the motivation for the Wallfacer Project, a daring plan that grants four men enormous resources to design secret strategies, hidden through deceit and misdirection from Earth and Trisolaris alike. Three of the Wallfacers are influential statesmen and scientists, but the fourth is a total unknown. Luo Ji, an unambitious Chinese astronomer and sociologist, is baffled by his new status. All he knows is that he's the one Wallfacer that Trisolaris wants dead.

3. "Death's End"

Cytat:With The Three-Body Problem, English-speaking readers got their first chance to experience the multiple-award-winning and bestselling Three-Body Trilogy by China's most beloved science fiction author, Cixin Liu. Three-Body was released to great acclaim including coverage in The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. It was also named a finalist for the Nebula Award, making it the first translated novel to be nominated for a major SF award since Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities in 1976.

Now this epic trilogy concludes with Death's End. Half a century after the Doomsday Battle, the uneasy balance of Dark Forest Deterrence keeps the Trisolaran invaders at bay. Earth enjoys unprecedented prosperity due to the infusion of Trisolaran knowledge. With human science advancing daily and the Trisolarans adopting Earth culture, it seems that the two civilizations will soon be able to co-exist peacefully as equals without the terrible threat of mutually assured annihilation. But the peace has also made humanity complacent.

Cheng Xin, an aerospace engineer from the early 21st century, awakens from hibernation in this new age. She brings with her knowledge of a long-forgotten program dating from the beginning of the Trisolar Crisis, and her very presence may upset the delicate balance between two worlds. Will humanity reach for the stars or die in its cradle?

Znajdź wszystkie posty użytkownika
Odpowiedz cytując ten post

"12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos"
Jordan Peterson

Cytat:What does everyone in the modern world need to know? Renowned psychologist Jordan B. Peterson's answer to this most difficult of questions uniquely combines the hard-won truths of ancient tradition with the stunning revelations of cutting-edge scientific research.

Humorous, surprising, and informative, Dr. Peterson tells us why skateboarding boys and girls must be left alone, what terrible fate awaits those who criticize too easily, and why you should always pet a cat when you meet one on the street.

What does the nervous system of the lowly lobster have to tell us about standing up straight (with our shoulders back) and about success in life? Why did ancient Egyptians worship the capacity to pay careful attention as the highest of gods? What dreadful paths do people tread when they become resentful, arrogant, and vengeful? Dr. Peterson journeys broadly, discussing discipline, freedom, adventure, and responsibility, distilling the world's wisdom into 12 practical and profound rules for life. 12 Rules for Life shatters the modern commonplaces of science, faith, and human nature while transforming and ennobling the mind and spirit of its listeners.

Cytat:RULE 1 / Stand up straight with your shoulders back

RULE 2 / Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping

RULE 3 / Make friends with people who want the best for you

RULE 4 / Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today

RULE 5 / Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them

RULE 6 / Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world

RULE 7 / Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)

RULE 8 / Tell the truth—or, at least, don’t lie

RULE 9 / Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t

RULE 10 / Be precise in your speech

RULE 11 / Do not bother children when they are skateboarding

RULE 12 / Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Cytat:Steve szaleńczo kocha swą ekscentryczną dziewczynę Stacy. Niestety ostatnio ich życie seksualne podupadło, bo mężczyznę martwią dziwne odgłosy z okolic jej krocza. Stacy twierdzi, że ma nawiedzoną pochwę i że to nic takiego. Steve zupełnie się z nią nie zgadza w tej kwestii.

Kiedy podczas niezbyt udanego seksu ze Stacy wydostaje się żywy trup, kobieta dowiaduje się, że jej pochwa to brama do innego świata. Namawia Steve'a, by wszedł do środka i zwiedził to dziwne, nowe miejsce. Powrót okazuje się jednak trudny... zwłaszcza po spotkaniu z Fig, specyficznie atrakcyjną mieszkanką opuszczonego świata między nogami Stacy.
STOP promocji ideologii neuroróżnorodności
Toż to metafora eksperymentowania seksualnego i eksplorowania swoich ciał w celu poprawy relacji u związku z zaburzeniami współżycia. Na początku nienaturalna i obca, potem podnosząca związek na nowy etap atrakcyjności :)

To akurat prawdopodobne, że to zamiar autora. Podobne sprytne wykorzystanie motywu sztampowych nieumarłych widziałem w Martwicy Mózgu ;)

"Dead Astronauts" by Jeff VanderMeer

Cytat:Under the watchful eye of The Company, three characters — Grayson, Moss and Chen — shapeshifters, amorphous, part human, part extensions of the landscape, make their way through forces that would consume them. A blue fox, a giant fish and language stretched to the limit.

A messianic blue fox who slips through warrens of time and space on a mysterious mission. A homeless woman haunted by a demon who finds the key to all things in a strange journal. A giant leviathan of a fish, centuries old, who hides a secret, remembering a past that may not be its own. Three ragtag rebels waging an endless war for the fate of the world against an all-powerful corporation. A raving madman who wanders the desert lost in the past, haunted by his own creation: an invisible monster whose name he has forgotten and whose purpose remains hidden.

Jeff VanderMeer's Dead Astronauts presents a City with no name of its own where, in the shadow of the all-powerful Company, lives human and otherwise converge in terrifying and miraculous ways. At stake: the fate of the future, the fate of Earth – all the Earths.
Przypomniało mi się, że ja to przecież czytałem:

Ogawa Yoko "Muzeum ciszy"

Cytat:Młody muzealnik przyjeżdża do prowincjonalnego miasteczka, by na zlecenie pewnej starszej pani utworzyć muzeum. Chodzi o kolekcję pamiątek, które kobieta gromadziła od dzieciństwa: niewiele wartych przedmiotów, które łączy tylko jedno - wszystkie zostały ukradzione właścicielom tuż po ich śmierci, nie zawsze naturalnej. Wśród setek rekwizytów znajdują się między innymi mumia psa, wypchana sowa, sekator zmarłego po upadku z drabiny ogrodnika, krążek domaciczny zamordowanej przed laty prostytutki, czy aluminiowe tubki po farbie, która stała się ostatnim pożywieniem umierającej z głodu malarki. Muzealnik ma nie tylko skatalogować wszystkie pamiątki i spisać ich historie - do jego zadań należy także pozyskiwanie nowych eksponatów. I choć początkowo czuł się nieswojo, coraz bardziej fascynuje go obsesja staruszki. To, co miało być sprzeciwem wobec zapomnienia, stopniowo staje się niebezpiecznym fetyszyzmem. A śmierci, nie zawsze naturalnej, jest w miasteczku coraz więcej...
Przeplatające się w tej historii piękno i przemoc Ogawa opisuje spokojnym, przejrzystym językiem. Między eleganckimi zdaniami pełno jednak niedopowiedzeń i wymownego milczenia.

Język prosty, chłodny i zdystansowany, a jednocześnie dojrzały. Poruszające obrazy i wizje. Thriller i dzieło filozoficzne w jednym.

Yoko Ogawa potrafi w subtelny, a zarazem przenikliwy sposób opisać mechanizmy ludzkiej psychiki.
Kenzaburo Oë
Intrygująca proza. Rytmiczny wzrost napięcia przypomina najlepsze muzyczne crescendo.
"Elle"
Ogawa zbliża do siebie żywych i zmarłych, oddaje głos tym ostatnim, rozpaczliwie pragnącym uczepić się utraconego życia.
Książ
Yoko Ogawa po mistrzowsku snuje klimatyczne opowieści, które mocno oddziałują na czytelnika. Jej atutem jest wyważona narracja i odwoływanie się do spraw zwykłych, a ujętych w niezwykły sposób. Nie często spotyka się takich autorów - którzy przy pomocy z pozoru prostych środków wyrazu, potrafią przerazić, wzbudzić lęk, czy wywołać uczucie obrzydzenia. U Ogawy oglądana pod mikroskopem żaba, a raczej jej części, bądź ślimak, czy też ludzki język przymarzły do lodu, wbite w skórę szkło - potrafią wstrząsnąć bardziej niż najbardziej krwawa i brutalna scena w innej książce.
Bellatriks,
Nie ma tu zbędnych słów, przegadanych momentów czy natłoku zdarzeń. Język Ogawy jest oszczędny, suchy, miejscami lakoniczny, ale za to dający do myślenia i pobudzający wyobraźnię. (...)
U Ogawy wszystko dzieje się bez hałasu, nadmiernej ekscytacji, szaleństwa, za to z głębią, pasją i sensem.

Autorka potrafi zestawiać opisy pięknych idei i wartościowych postaw z aktami okrucieństwa i brzydotą w taki sposób, że czytelnikowi ich współistnienie wydaje się czymś niezwykle naturalnym i oczywistym. (...)
Kto wypełnia zadanie, ten odchodzi - to z pozoru banalne i oczywiste twierdzenie, w powieści Yoko Ogawy nabiera większego znaczenia i każe nam zastanowić się nad tym, jaką misję w swoim życiu sami wypełniamy.
"Dziennik"
Przedmioty same w sobie anonimowe, dopiero w kontekście nabierają znaczenia. Przyglądanie im się, czyszczenie, katalogowanie, oswaja i śmierć, i życie. Piękna książka, napisana niezwykłym językiem. Estetycznym i... ascetycznym. Uporządkowanym jak sushi na tacy.
Sens
Wejdziesz do tego muzeum? Nie musisz zakładać kapci. Byleś tylko szanował prawo do istnienia. I prawo do umierania.